Friday, November 18, 2011

How tough is a Judo or Aikido jacket?

I%26#039;ve heard some pretty remarkable claims about these uniform tops being very strong and tough, but I can%26#039;t find any sources backing these claims.|||There are two main types of martial arts uniform commonly used.





1.) Karate Style - lighter, thinner fabric and the top is shorter - it doesn%26#039;t hang as low.





2.) Judo Style - heavier with a thicker, weave reinforced fabric.





The judo style, quality being equal, is much tougher than the karate style. I use both depending on the weather (karate for hot weather, judo for spring, fall and winter).





I wear out a karate gi in 6 months of regular use. I usually only wear a gi once a week as I have many in rotation.





However, with the same use, I still have the same judo gis I purchased 5 years ago. The only thing that is wrong with them is worn out knees.





Would material from a judo gi do better than a cotton tee shirt in a knife fight? Sure. It would help, but I don%26#039;t think the difference would be a saving grace.|||I%26#039;ve trained in both Judo and Aikido for a total of 5 - 6 years.


In all that time, I%26#039;ve only had one jacket rip under the armpit, and they%26#039;ve been pulled at whatever way you can imagine. And I was the only one I ever trained with who was actually unfortunate enough to get a rip.





They%26#039;re pretty damn tough.

No comments:

Post a Comment