Friday, May 21, 2010

Aikido: Is it reality or fiction!? Maybe I should switch to Krav Maga!?

I have taken Aikido for a little while now. However when we practice the %26quot;attacker%26quot; doesn%26#039;t EVER resist during drills! I have to let out of shape people who are half my size and a 1/16 of my strength submit me EVEN though I could easily pull away or throw them or punch them or kick them or even choke them out!!!!!!!!! I let the Sensei put a wrist and arm lock on one of my arms, but I had to hand him a OPEN HAND! The whole time I knew I could easily escape! And who the hell hands someone there hands so they could put a lock on it! Am I wrong about this or has anyone used Aikido IN REAL LIFE ATTACKS AND HAD IT WORK!??? The little skinny and fat guys and gals in the class think this stuff works you should see them!!!!!!!!





I am thinking of switching to Krav Maga! I just did a Krav session and it was REALLY realistic. During just the drills the %26quot;attacker%26quot; would actually try and hit you!|||Couple of points.


First off, it sounds like you may not be in the best of aikido schools. I can%26#039;t really pass that judgement, because I haven%26#039;t seen it for myself, but from what you say here, they%26#039;re not teaching proper Ukemi, which is a dying art. Uke should resist the technique.


But Uke should also resist the technique within reason. You are unreasonable in thinking every time you are shown something, you should be able to do whatever you please to counter it. These are exercises designed to get you to perfect the technique; they are not full-fledged combat. The point is not whether you could do something else, the point is whether Nage can perform the technique successfully. As you advance, you will be called on to do more %26quot;freestyle%26quot; exercises, which involve more imagination and are more unpredictable. But if everybody just fought with all they got whenever they were shown something, you%26#039;d never learn a thing - you%26#039;d just be going to brawling class. The idea is to take the time to absorb the techniques and to learn from them. Aikido techniques are relatively complex. They take a lot of familiarity to be used well.


Of course, if you%26#039;re not doing it properly, Uke should not submit. If you%26#039;re doing Nikio (or something else) and you%26#039;ve got it wrong, there%26#039;s no reason for Uke to go down. If Uke goes down whether you get it right or not, then there%26#039;s little point in trying to do the technique. He might as well just kneel in front of you and let%26#039;s move on to something else. But that%26#039;s not Aikido%26#039;s fault - if that%26#039;s happening, it%26#039;s just your school%26#039;s fault for not teaching Ukemi well.


Strikes will come on later on. And you will learn to block them, and they will be coming at you. So will chokes and other uncomfortable things. Aikido trains in a way where we try to avoid injury. So the strikes are expected, but the motion is real. I suspect you might be too quick to judge, as you have only seen a few classes.


It%26#039;s up to you, of course, and I can%26#039;t tell you what to do, but perhaps you are a bit quick in judging. But I do suspect your school is a little lax when it comes to teaching some of the traditions of aikido, especially the proper role of Uke. On the other hand, you sound a bit like a piano student that comes to a couple of lessons and says: Why do we have to learn scales? Real piano players don%26#039;t play scales! I want to play concert pieces!|||It just sounds like the people in your classes aren%26#039;t very enthusiastic, really.





When I went to Tae Kwon Do, the higher belts would grab your wrists and they would not let go. The only way to make them let go would be to perform the technique properly. In Karate, I%26#039;m stuck in the lower belt classes, so the people there are a lot more timid, and worried about hurting you/ themself. It%26#039;s bothersome in the sense that it%26#039;s not realistic. They don%26#039;t grab you hard enough, and they%26#039;ll let go at the first sign of pressure.





We do a bit of Aikido in Karate, and it seems realistic to me. A lot of is a bit fancy, however, and I prefer TKD styles of self defense. However, trying Krav Maga might sound fun! It%26#039;s always good to get new experience, I think (that%26#039;s why I switched to Karate from TKD).|||It%26#039;s real, what%26#039;s fiction is the idea that you can kick as$ like Steven Seagal does in his movies especially after only 6 months of Aikido training. Fact is, in a real self defense situation where an Aikido student uses Aikido techniques, the moves won%26#039;t look as fancy as shown in movies or in randori at the dojo. It mostly involves the attacker being thrown off balance and falling down, breaking a bone or two because he resisted the hold applied on him and didn%26#039;t know how to break his fall and also because the student didn%26#039;t have enough experience to control his throws and techniques.|||How long have you been training? Have you looked around to see if there are other schools around you?|||It really depends on your school. The problem with many martial arts schools that claim they are for self-defence is the same problem you%26#039;re experiencing: they practice the same drills over and over with the same timing so that you get used to it... but that%26#039;s not how it will go in real life. Aikido and Krav Maga are both GREAT martial arts for self-defence. Both tried and true. If you stick with aikido, learn the moves and just do something different... suggest to your sensei or your drill partner that you switch up timing, make it more realistic. If that doesn%26#039;t work, just get a friend to mess around with you... if he/she doesn%26#039;t mind getting hurt hehe. If THAT doesn%26#039;t work, either switch schools or train in Krav Maga. If what you want is self-defence that will DEFINITELY do the trick. But as far as styles go, both are great martial arts.|||Im feeling the same way. Thats why im prolly switching from MT and Aikido to wrestling for a little while. Time to clear my head and explore other oppurtunities you know. Ill prolly come back because I love MT. and the aikido sensei is a great guy buti my thing is how do I know it works if I dont resist and fight back. btw we do resist in MT

No comments:

Post a Comment