Saturday, November 14, 2009

Do you think you can practice Aikido alone?

I have been doing Aikido for a few years now but recently moved away where there are no close Aikido dojos. I would still like to keep up my skills. Do you think, like %26quot;shadow boxing%26quot; you can practice %26quot;shadow Aikido%26quot; and actually keep fresh on moves and weapons training? Thanks.|||Well Aikido is one of those arts that require a partner.





Doing shadow steps, and applying Shadow locks, won%26#039;t really keep you fresh. Weapons training you can work your katas and such with, and remain relatively fresh.





However the throws and jointlocks you most definately need a partner, and as it being Aikido you need someone who has solid Ukemi and a knowledge of how to react when a joint lock is being applied.





I like Frank%26#039;s suggestion at finding a Judo or classical Jujitsu school. You can practice there and I am sure they would enjoy teaming up with you after class and sharing knowledge.





Classical Japanese Jujitsu would be very good for you, as Aikido was derived from that. You would find many of the throws and joint locks are very similar.





I think some aspects you can practice alone, others you absolutely need another body, or group of bodies to remain fresh. Especially when it comes to throws and joint locks, Aikido is very Uke/Tori partnership oriented.





Sorry to hear about having to move away to a place where there is no Aikido. Hit me up with a message or go to http://www.bullshido.com check out the forum sections, you can probably find Aikidoka in your area who would be willing to get together with you.





Similarly http://www.aikiweb.com has a good group of contacts that perhaps you can find a partner or two.





If not, there is always Judo places pretty much everywhere. Jujitsu is a bit harder to find, but there may be one in your area.





If I can help in anyway, feel free to message me.





Good luck!|||I%26#039;ve been doing Aikido for years now. As well I am moving away from my dojo, but have one waiting for me were I%26#039;m moving. I do not think that you can do Aikido by yourself and it be practical. LIke doing a kata, you do all these moves against no one. It will not help keep the practical side of it, in my view. You may be able to maintain the idea of the move but not the practical side of it, without a partner. That is just my view and I could be very wrong, when it comes to your training. All I can really do is speak for myself and my believes about it.|||you could definitely practice alone and with imaginary targets. However, this wont really work for the practice of throwing and pinning. Sure, you could still practice the movements required in the various throw/pin maneuvers to remember it, but it wont be the same as practicing with another person (unless you have an amazing imagination)|||I%26#039;ve been in similar situations more then once in 20+ years at aikido.


- buy some aikido videos and books and watch/read them carefully and imagine yourself doing the techniques. This will help keep your imagined techniques precise and will help mentally imprint good technique not unlike a golfer/basketball player etc. imagining their shots


- find a buddy you can train and thereby keep fresh and keep the energy feel of partner practice.


- occasionally get away to an aikido seminar or summer-camp to really get tuned up and advance.





It can be done, but expect that you may be inadvertently ingraining errors in technique... so use the seminars to ask more experienced practitioners to correct you and then take notes after each class.





Good luck on your path!|||You could keep %26quot;fairly%26quot; fresh yes. But i wouldn%26#039;t expect to learn anything.|||Depending on your skills in Aikido, why not teach what you know to some others there. As you get into teaching others,


you will demonstrate your skills on the best student so the other students can see how these moves work, as a uke and nage.


There are a few Katas you can try to keep your self in shape.


Try Taikyokyu, it is basic upper-body kata blocks and punches although depending on the system you were taught in Aikido, in Aikido you don%26#039;t punch but in this kata it will keep you in shape.


Good luck...Peace......|||If you%26#039;re far enough advanced think about starting a class of your own. Teach what you know to others and practice with them.|||You can definetely practice alone, but it won%26#039;t be realistic as you need people to practice with.





In order to keep in shape, since there aren%26#039;t any aikido dojos, try another martial art, perhaps one with grappling (since you already have knowlede on locks) like judo or jiu-jitsu.





I used to practice karate, and I moved to a place where there weren%26#039;t dojos that taught my style, i tried muay thai and kickboxing and that%26#039;s what I do now, I am happy.|||I think you would do well to find an Uke.. maybe you have a friend who will help you out with this. There is nothing like training with another person.

No comments:

Post a Comment